Re: [Videolib] VHS to DVD for classroom use?

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Mon Nov 02 2009 - 16:07:06 PST

Uh...Dude: you're really starting to piss me off. Yes...it IS the job of
librarians to preserve the cultural record. If we don't no one will.
What do you think we do all day? Shush the patrons? Shelve books! Get a
clue, please. You're insulting us all (and it's not wise to piss off your
primary customers).

The fact is that an increasing amount of legally acquired
materials--acquired in vhs--simply is no longer available in DVD or other
viable formats, and may never be. The option of waiting out renegotiation
of rights simply ain't an option. If I copy an out-of-distribution vhs to
DVD and it subsequently becomes available on the open market, do the right
thing and trash the copy. Until then, I'm doing my job by making sure
that cultural capital stays accessible for the folks that I serve every
day. If we had to rely exclusively on "the industry" to preserve this
stuff for posterity, well, god help us all.

Gary Handman