Re: [Videolib] VHS to DVD for classroom use?

From: Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Nov 02 2009 - 15:21:15 PST

Gary
The question was can a professor make a DVD of a VHS and the answer is
clear no they can't. Section 108 is VERY clear. FYI you can according to
108 make a VHS copy
from a VHS and still use it what you CAN NOT DO is make a DVD from a VHS.
 There was no suggestion in the first question that the item was in any
danger. If you don't like 108 than be my guest and try to get it changed but
making a DVD and allowing it to be used in a class is plainly illegal and
it DOES ripoff filmmakers. I am not holding my breath for someone who claims
they MUST have a DVD to buy the legal copy after they made an illegal one. I
remember Dennis saying that one of their biggest problems with KILLER OF
SHEEP was first the huge number of ILLEGAL COPIES OWNED BY INSTITUTIONS and
 then after they released it legally the huge number of illegal downloads
many of which were done by academics but hey they had to have it and their
need was greater than the rights and livelihood of filmmakers and
distributors. If a book was lost from the library and you could not
get replacement would you make xerox and put it on the shelves ? I realize
academics pressure librarians and it sounds so nice to make films available
but every film ever made or even released may not be available for the
academic to use and they sure as heck may not be available in the most
CONVENIENT format. You want that copy under 108 ? Well then keep it in VHS
or keep it for RESEARCH & PRESERVATION. When you do otherwise you ARE
stealing from filmmakers especially independent ones. Not to sound like a
broken record but you are free to PRESERVE but you are not free to CIRCULATE
outside the library.