Re: [Videolib] VHS to DVD for classroom use?

From: Sarah McCleskey <Sarah.E.McCleskey@hofstra.edu>
Date: Mon Nov 02 2009 - 13:29:17 PST

So, I don't think anyone has suggested that you find out if the VHS is
available for purchase as a DVD. If it is, there's no need/reason/legal
way to copy it. I recently had the campus counseling center ask to
convert 6 VHS tapes to DVD. They were all available on DVD... they were
expensive, but they were available!

Sarah

>>> <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu> 11/2/2009 4:05 PM >>>
Right...but

For the online course, a digital copy (not a DVD but a streaming video)
is
necessary, right? You can’t stream a VHS copy. Therefore digitizing
(at
least of part of a film) is legal, but there is no exception allowing
one
to make a playable DVD of the digitized item.

It's difficult to know what trumps what here: DMCA sez no breaking of
encryption (xcept for film studies folk, don't get me started
again)...so...Digitizing a clip from a DVD probably goes in the face
of
DMCA, even tho TEACH might allow "broadcast" of the clip.

gary

> There is a distinction between exceptions for educational use
> (face-to-face teaching) and the exceptions for online instruction.
These
> are exceptions to the RULE that it is illegal to digitize analog
> materials. So the rule is: no change of format, no digitization.
> For the online course, a digital copy (not a DVD but a streaming
video) is
> necessary, right? You can’t stream a VHS copy. Therefore digitizing
(at
> least of part of a film) is legal, but there is no exception allowing
one
> to make a playable DVD of the digitized item.
> For use in a bricks-and-mortar classroom, a VHS is as good as a DVD
(and
> probably better than a DVD made by digitizing the VHS). It would be
legal
> to make clips but not simply to copy the whole thing over.
> The “preservation” exception is pretty specific and has nothing
to do with
> teaching of any kind. It involves library media which can no longer
be
> played because the equipment is no longer maintained by the library
(and
> of course it is legal only if it is impossible to obtain a copy of
the
> media in a playable format). So it is not applicable to face-to-face
> teaching unless that occurs in the library itself and that library
has no
> VHS players available.
> The law has not addressed the question of what happens when the last
VHS
> player on campus dies.
> Why does the professor even want to do this? He doesn’t have a VHS
player
> and he wants to review the movie on his computer before going in to
> teach?
> Judy Shoaf
acquisition,bibliographic
> control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats
in
> libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will
serve
> as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a
channel of
> producers and distributors.

UC Berkeley

--Francois Truffaut