Re: [Videolib] VHS to DVD for classroom use?

From: Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Nov 02 2009 - 12:24:08 PST

Making VHS to DVD copies is illegal period. The ONLY exemption IS" archival"
and that is in section 108. In that case IF the copy were essentially
decomposing you could make a digital copy but THAT copy can NOT leave the
library. FACE TO FACE exemption does allow you to use whole works in a class
but those works must be LEGAL copies and transfer is not a legal copy.

FYI the SCMS "best use" was prepared by a bunch of academics and has no
legal standing. It says for instance you can take a copy of a film your
cousin taped of Z channel 25 years ago and use that ( I am exaggerating for
effect but that is what there "interpretation" permits). Yes I know there is
no legal ruling but a little common sense with that document would help.
Again by their interpretation you really would not have to buy anything ,
just tape it off TV and use that.

Snarky mood today but go ahead and bitch I have to go to Brooklyn and won't
be on line