Re: [Videolib] The Daily Bitch

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu Oct 29 2009 - 13:07:32 PDT

OK...now we don't disagree any longer.

I think circumstances are considerably different from library to library,
depending on the circulation policy. We only circulate to faculty (i.e.
for use beyond the MRC), so it's not an issue for us. Even if we DID
circulate more widely, however, it's unlikely that we'd interrogate each
and every borrower regarding the manner and type of use. If someone came
up to me and volunteered info that the film was being screened for a
crowd, I'd be bound and beholden by THE OFFICIAL LIBRARIAN CODE OF HONOR
(which we're given, along with a secret decoder ring when we get our MLIS
degree) to say, "sorry." Similarly, if I caught wind of a faculty person
sponsoring extra curricular screening, I'd come after em' with guns
blazing.

Ultimately, aybe we DO, in essence, disagree...because I think it's
neither practically nor ethically supportable to interview each and every
viewer regarding the nature of his/her film use. Again: requiring PPR on
the off-chance that SOMEONE may be publicly screening just doesn't make
sense.

We do everything in our power as librarians to educate users and hip them
to the law, but ultimately, the responsibility for doing the right thing
is the end-user's...

gary