Re: [Videolib] The Daily Bitch

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu Oct 29 2009 - 12:00:54 PDT

No, not really.

I'm really bitching about two related but distinct things:

1. The practice of selling stuff in home video venues and then refusing
to supply to institutions

2. The practice of confusing (obfuscating?) institutional pricing and
performance rights pricing. Institutional pricing is based on the fact
that vendors feel they can/must charge higher prices for institions, a
priori (based on assessments of the market etc.). Performance rights are
performance rights.

All I'm asking is to call spades spades...

gary

> Gary, isn't the third price you cite precisely what you are complaining
> about? I.e. forcing institutions to pay for PPR whether they need it or
> not? In principle, there are only 2 kinds of purchases one needs to make:
> with or without performance rights (and certainly it would be handy to buy
> some items with PPR up front and not have to worry about it later).
> Whether one is purchasing as an individual or as an institution shouldn't
> make a difference, should it? --Judy

UC Berkeley

--Francois Truffaut