[Videolib] The Daily Bitch

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu Oct 29 2009 - 09:48:58 PDT

Hi all (and particularly you distributors out there)

I need to vent about an increasingly common practice which really frosts me:
I continue to encounter cases in which a distributor will sell a work on
amazon at home video prices and at the same time will sell the same work
at institutional prices via the distributor's web site. In such
cases--because I don't require performance rights--I'll ALWAYS buy the
amazon copy. However, I've recently encountered cases where the vendor
has gotten back to us and has refused to sell at the home video price.
This is dishonest and sucky, to say the least. If the game plan is to
strictly bifurcate the market (institutional/home), distributors should
NOT be putting their stuff out in the home video market via home video
venues like amazon. The practice is confusing, a bit seedy, and
time-wasting.

OK...there...

UC Berkeley

--Francois Truffaut