Re: [Videolib] I am guessing no libraries have copies of this ... Disneyfication

From: Shoaf,Judith P <jshoaf@ufl.edu>
Date: Mon Oct 26 2009 - 08:43:41 PDT

I was corresponding with a friend whose grandchildren do get only a very limited diet of TV (I think they only get DVDs and that as a treat), including some Baby Einstein. He noted that an aunt would be getting the refund for their copy. I think these are often given to parents as gifts, so there is probably a range from recipient parents who otherwise wouldn't let their kids watch any TV at all to those who use the TV as a babysitter.

As for libraries-wasn't it a library that was the focus of the lawsuit Disney brought to prevent its Chinese franchise in Taiwan from selling to Americans its otherwise licensed and legal copies of a Chinese version of Baby Einstein? -Judy Shoaf

From: Danielle Phillips
I'm all for this, but from what I've seen, parents who showed children these videos were already letting their children watch quite a bit of TV anyway. I wonder how many were honestly showing these because they thought they were 'educational.'