Re: [Videolib] Request: Films with tracking shots of Paris.

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Tue Oct 20 2009 - 16:12:07 PDT

Hi

Well, it's not really a tracking shot (more of a zoom) and it's not the
"real" Paris, but the opening sequence of Baz Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge! is
the bomb...

I believe that Rene Clair's "Under the Roofs of Paris" (Sous les toits de
Paris)(1930) has a nifty tracking shot of Paris (available from
Criterion)

Irma Vep has a cool Paris tracking shot, as I recall (Olivier Assayas, 1996)

Salud!

Gary Handman

> Hi Everyone,
>
> One of our fine Film Studies faculty (Italian cinema aficionado)
> approached me today, and asked "a weird" request (his words), if I
> knew of film with prime examples of tracking shots of Paris (beginning
> of cinema to present)? These can be anywhere in Paris, and even
> include aerial shots though that is apparently not technically
> tracking. I am still in the process of learning my film technique,
> but I told him his question was not weird and I knew of some kind
> folks who might be able to help. If I need further information, do
> inquire.
>
> So have at it: prime film examples of Paris tracking shots.
>
> -Scott
>
> Scott Spicer
> Media Outreach and Learning Spaces Librarian
> Coordinated Educational Services
> University of Minnesota Libraries
> 233 Walter Library 612.626.0629

> producers and distributors.