Re: [Videolib] Paramount and 20th Century Fox releasing rental and retail versions of DVDs

From: Olsen, Kathy <Kaolsen@browardlibrary.org>
Date: Wed Oct 14 2009 - 06:50:52 PDT

We no longer use B&T as a vendor, but I do still have access to TS3. I checked the title "500 Days of Summer", and all I saw listed was the rental version and Blu-ray. We use Midwest Tape, and they're selling both the rental and retail versions. Their website has this explanation:

Similar to Paramount's two-tiered releasing strategy ("Paramount Experiments with Two-Tiered Pricing on Upcoming DVD Releases<http://www.mwtnewsandviews.com/2009/10/paramount-experiments-with-two-tiered_02.html>"), 20th Century Fox will also now offer rental and retail editions of select DVD titles. However, Fox's strategy differs in that both the rental and retail editions of their titles will feature the exact same edits of the films and will be the same price. Additionally, rental editions will not contain any bonus features, but they will contain additional movie trailers and previews. Retail editions will have bonus features.

Kathy Olsen
Collection Development Librarian
Broward County Library
954-357-5410 954-357-5598 (fax)