[Videolib] Paramount and 20th Century Fox releasing rental and retail versions of DVDs

From: Causey, Tom <CauseyT@HillsboroughCounty.ORG>
Date: Tue Oct 13 2009 - 14:54:30 PDT

Paramount and 20th Century Fox are starting to release new DVDs in two versions, rental
and retail. The rental version will release on street date with no extras and special features.
The retail version release with the special features will be delayed it looks like anywhere
from 3 to 8 weeks after the street date. In the case of Paramount, the price for the rental
version seems to be about $10 more per dvd.
We don't like either choice. We either have to buy a version with no extras and possibly higher cost, or make our customers wait a significantly longer period of time.
We are wondering what other libraries, particularly public libraries, are going to do.
Until we get direction from management level, we are going to buy retail and see what happens.

Tom Causey
Senior Librarian
Tampa Hillsborough County Public Library
900 N. Ashley Dr.
Tampa, FL 33602
(813) 276-2754
(813) 273-3708 (fax)
causeyt@hillsboroughcounty.org

THINK AT THE SINK!
During this ongoing drought, every drop of water counts.
Learn how you can cut water use at http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/water/conserve