[Videolib] Dragnet public domain?

From: Jackson, Sandra F. <Jacksonsf@uncw.edu>
Date: Tue Oct 13 2009 - 14:31:52 PDT

Is anyone familiar with the www.archive.org website? Does it tend to be accurate? I don't deal with television copyrights, but I thought they also fell under the 75 years category.

A local filmmaker wanted to prove that Dragnet - The Big Oskar - was now in the public domain and used this link to prove his point: http://www.archive.org/details/Dragnet_The_Big_Oskar Under the "View movie" box on the left, there is a box that says "No Rights Reserved" and when the mouse is put on it, it says "Public Domain."

I know we've also talked about public domain being tricky, because the video and music may be copyrighted differently.

Thanks,
Sandra

Sandra F. Jackson
Film Program Coordinator
Lumina Theater & Sharky's Box Office
UNCW Presents
The University of North Carolina Wilmington
910.962.7971
jacksonsf@uncw.edu
http://www.uncw.edu/lumina
NOTICE: Emails sent and received in the course of university business are subject to the North Carolina Public Records Act (N.C.G.S. 132-1 et seq.) and may be released to the public unless an exception applies.