Re: [Videolib] Update on copyright case?

From: Dennis Doros <milefilms@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Oct 12 2009 - 11:33:42 PDT

Dear Judy,
Forgive me for saying this, but a dorm showing actually would be a case for
PPR (or whether 12 attendees or a 100 is judged by the courts or god by
quantity) but without even arguing the point, there are 100s of cases of
misuse and misunderstanding on both the distributor and user side. I don't
really like to hear people state they "heard" or "know" about a distributor
being nasty for no reason at all. Sometimes we do make mistakes. However, I
don't recall a case where any indie film distributor has actually sued for
damages done (not even in this case) so in the case of financial damage,
it's strictly a one-way street. Film distributors are in a very bad state
and there have been many companies closing -- after 25 years in business,
Picture This! closed just last week. So whenever a person on this list asks
why a film, especially a foreign title, is not available, illegal theft of
rights is a big part of it.

And I know quite a few professors that depend on their book royalties to
help pay their mortgages or supplement their income. As Gary suggests, but
perhaps I can put it in another fashion, none of us want to see them get
ripped off and I hope they feel the same way about us.

Dennis
Milestone Film & Video

--
Best,