Re: [Videolib] Update on copyright case?

From: Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Oct 12 2009 - 11:19:43 PDT

Well I don't know about the professor in a lounge bit but why would a
professor need to show a film in a student lounge if it was part of a class
? I know New Yorker went after some other schools that suddenly dropped
their long established film series and "replaced" them with "classroom
lectures" however none of these "classes" had a syllabus or a list of
specifically enrolled students. I grant you some companies go to far as in
Swank claiming that more than one student watching a film a library study
carrel is a "public performance" but I can tell you from experience most of
it goes the other way and the massive increase in these illegal screenings
is a major reason Linda and I both lost our jobs. You can only chase down
so many of them. In general the biggest violators were not student groups
but professors and academic departments who would show films to the whole
campus and either not know or not care it was illegal and many of those
showings were of films which had not even been released in theaters that
they obtained overseas.