Re: [Videolib] Update on copyright case?

From: Shoaf,Judith P <jshoaf@ufl.edu>
Date: Mon Oct 12 2009 - 11:04:37 PDT

I know that one of the examples of illegal viewing in the New Yorker was watching a movie in a German-language dorm lounge, with a professor in attendance. The argument was that other students could walk through the dorm lounge and view it. There were probably a dozen students at most in a setting like that.

It's quite possible that the university English professor would in fact give permission for making copies of a chapter of his/her book for, say, a college discussion group on the subject. Of course the books of English professors rarely make any money at all.

Anyway, the case sure scared the s--- out of a lot of people who heard about it, me included. --Judy Shoaf