Re: [Videolib] Film Club

From: Dennis Doros <milefilms@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Oct 08 2009 - 09:05:05 PDT

Dear James,
It does entail a public performance license for each film, but I should
reiterate here that it doesn't have to be as frightening or expensive as it
sounds. If you talk to the sales reps at the independents (New Yorker,
Zeitgeist, Kino, Milestone, Janus, Oscilloscope, etc.) you can usually get
films before their DVD release and if your pleasant and persistent, usually
for decent rates. (For example, we just licensed ARAYA for a screening at
Dutchess Community College in Poughkeepsie the same night it opened
theatrically in New York, because he was a good guy.) For pop/Hollywood
films, it seems like the Motion Picture Licensing Corporation and Swank can
be pretty reasonable if you want to do package deals, but of course, they're
usually after DVD release and not as enticing to the general public. I would
suggest a mix.

Best,
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video