Re: [Videolib] ALA Midwinter

From: Deg Farrelly <deg.farrelly@asu.edu>
Date: Wed Oct 07 2009 - 20:45:15 PDT

In addition to my media responsibilities I have for several years functioned as the collection development coordinator for my campus at ASU - all journals, monographs, approval plans, serials, databases, etc. In that capacity I have attended the ALA Midwinter meetings annual for about five years.

Those who have never been to an ALA conference may find this a more approachable venue than the annual conference. The exhibits are smaller, the crush of humanity is less dense, and thus less intimidating.

There are programs and meetings that others can attend. I regularly attended the meeting of the heads of collection development of the large research universities (commonly called the "Big Heads" meeting), as well as smaller collection development meetings. While not specifically dealing with media issues, these discussions help frame a broader understanding of the issues facing libraries. I recall attending some VRT meetings as well at the 2008 meeting in Philadelphia.

There are also poster sessions, and Roundtable discussions (tho the deadlines for proposals for those has most likely passed).

So if you can afford it, and have the time and/or inclination, I find it worth the effort.

--
deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
Arizona State University at the West campus