Re: [Videolib] TEACH/Fair Use???

From: Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Oct 07 2009 - 20:36:33 PDT

I hate to ruin my reputation for being some kind of copyright Nazi but in
fact Michael ( and Gary) you are being too restrictive. "Fair Use " does not
require that it be for educational use or one time etc. The whole history of
Fair Use to allow PORTIONS of otherwise copyrighted works to be used to
create new works . Authors may for instance use short passages from other
works in a new book and that work may indeed may be published and sold for
profit etc. Now how much of another work you can use is subject of
interpretation but not that it can be covered under Fair Use. Part of the
problem is that we mainly discuss Fair Use here in the contact of films,
classes, libraries etc but it is far broader concept. Too many of our dear
academic friends tend to think, sounds fair to me so I am going to use it (
say taping a film of TCM and using it in class 10 years later etc) but Fair
Use really is meant to facilitate the creation of new works including
lectures like the one Sandra asked about.