Re: [Videolib] ALA Midwinter

From: <glabbott@syr.edu>
Date: Wed Oct 07 2009 - 20:28:31 PDT

It is true that the majority of ALA midwinter is committee and board meetings but there are many other events of benefit to any librarian who can attend. The large exhibit hall introduces attendees to a wide variety of products, recent developments in digital systems, information on new videos and latest books and advance readers on many pre-pub books and a variety of databases and other electronic products. The midwinter meeting opens with an Authors Forum with 2 or 3 authors talking about their books and writing experiences following by the opening of the exhibits and a reception.

There also are a number of discussion groups on current topics and trends, usually a dozen or so pre-conference workshops on specific topics, and a series of sunrise programs with presentations mainly by authors each morning of the conference. There is a placement service for exploring new positions and many networking opportunities.

George Abbott
librarian emeritus
Syracuse University Library
glabbott@syr.edu