Re: [Videolib] TEACH/Fair Use???

From: John Streepy <John.Streepy@cwu.EDU>
Date: Wed Oct 07 2009 - 14:47:59 PDT

Wouldn't this be the very definition of a fair use, using snippets of film to back up points in a lecture.
jhs

John H. Streepy
Media Services Supervisor
Library-Media Circulation
James E. Brooks Library
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7548

(509) 963-2861
http://www.lib.cwu.edu/media

"Hand to hand combat just goes with the territory.
All part of being a librarian" -- James Turner "Rex Libris"

Transitus profusum est nocens!

>>> "Jackson, Sandra F." <Jacksonsf@uncw.edu> 10/7/2009 2:33 PM >>>
I know we've discussed TEACH and Fair Use round and round, but I need other opinions on this quickly:

If a non-university speaker is invited to campus for a one-time eduational lecture for students and the speaker plans to use brief snippets of films or other possibly copyrighted works as part of the lecture, does that speaker need to secure PPR for those snippets? In other words, this would NOT be for a regularly scheduled class, but it would be for a very specific group of people and not advertised to the public.

Thanks,
Sandra

Sandra F. Jackson
Film Program Coordinator
Lumina Theater & Sharky's Box Office
UNCW Presents
The University of North Carolina Wilmington
910.962.7971
jacksonsf@uncw.edu
http://www.uncw.edu/lumina