Re: [Videolib] TEACH/Fair Use???

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed Oct 07 2009 - 14:59:48 PDT

Hi Sandra

First- off: TEACH has nothing whatsoever to do with this matter.

In THEORY, PPR are probably needed. On the other hand, I'd say that if
the clips were short and limited in number, one could justifiably and
comfortably invoke fair use (I hope you're not charging for this
event...if so, I'd say the ice is much thinner...)

Another fly in the ointment is the fact that if clips are being extracted
from an encrypted DVD, the DMCA sez you can't go there.

It may all boil down to how much of risk you and your institution is
willing to assume.

Gary Handman

> I know we've discussed TEACH and Fair Use round and round, but I need
> other opinions on this quickly:
>
> If a non-university speaker is invited to campus for a one-time eduational
> lecture for students and the speaker plans to use brief snippets of films
> or other possibly copyrighted works as part of the lecture, does that
> speaker need to secure PPR for those snippets? In other words, this
> would NOT be for a regularly scheduled class, but it would be for a very
> specific group of people and not advertised to the public.
>
> Thanks,
> Sandra
>

> Sandra F. Jackson
> Film Program Coordinator
> Lumina Theater & Sharky's Box Office
> UNCW Presents
> The University of North Carolina Wilmington
> 910.962.7971
> jacksonsf@uncw.edu
> http://www.uncw.edu/lumina

> producers and distributors.