Re: [Videolib] Rental Pricing

From: Tatar, Becky <bltata@aurora.lib.il.us>
Date: Tue Sep 29 2009 - 08:54:50 PDT

We are going to wait for the sell through, also. Maybe it's only a $10
difference, but $10 per title starts to add up. And we'll explain it to
our patrons that way. In the past, they were pretty understanding about
it. We're trying to save money. Also, it's only one studio, so far. I
think the first title with this two tiered pricing is the new Eddie
Murphy movie "Imagine That." Actually, I've been waiting for quite a
while to see if the studios would go back to this. When home video
first started, this is what drove our selection policy of only getting
classic movies at first, and waiting a year for the new titles. Initial
rental cost - $60 and up, versus $25 six months later. And the initial
rental costs kept going up. I think the last movies on the two tiered
pricing like this were initially about $100 for the rental sales. Ouch.

Becky Tatar
Periodicals/Audiovisuals
Aurora Public Library
1 E. Benton Street