[Videolib] Rental Pricing

From: Jaeschke, Myles <mjaesch@tulsalibrary.org>
Date: Tue Sep 29 2009 - 08:00:13 PDT

Hey all,
I just noticed on a recent advertisement that Paramount is going to be testing a higher priced rental copy ($28.99) of the film The Goods with a release date of 11/10/2009. It will be followed by a sell through price or $19.99 on 12/15/2009.

I wonder if we will be reverting back to the days of rental priced films in the $90+ for new releases? To you public libraries out there what is the breakpoint for you to wait for a sell through copy? Is $28.99 to much to pay for a film to have it a month earlier vs $19.99? I have say I'm not very pleased with this move, and I will most likely wait for a sell through price should it come to that, unless it's a big title, then I may have to rethink it.

Any thoughts?

Best,
Myles Jaeschke

Tulsa City-County Library System