Re: [Videolib] Here we go again!

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Mon Sep 28 2009 - 14:51:22 PDT

Hi Valerie

Jessica's right (for once): DMCA sez you really can't break encryption on
a DVD to extract the clip unless you're a film or media studies faculty
person using the clip for classroom teaching. Stupidly enough, if you had
a tape of the Burns work, it'd be different.

There is a great deal of controversy about the fair use protections for
putting a clip up on blackboard or other learning management platforms.
Lawyers from a few (but not many) universities have claimed the practice
is fair use...others say 'no way'.

The duration and number of clips is also nowhere quantified. The Fair Use
Guidelines for Educational Multimedia, which were developed before the
advent of the web (and which were not approved by ALA and others) does
offer a number of safe harbor percentages. (The reason ALA bowed out was
it's disapproval of these quanfications).

So...the only thing one can really say is, the shorter and fewer, the better.

gary

> Hello All,
> I have finally gotten one of 'those' messages, where a teacher in one of
> our
> satellite Adult Degree offices wants to put clips from Ken Burn's 'Jazz'
> series on Blackboard for students to watch. What portion of a complete
> work
> is considered fair game in this case? Is it possible at all? So far we
> have
> not engaged in any streaming licenses, and we don't have enough bandwidth
> as
> it is. Comments? Suggestions?
> Thanks,
> Val