Re: [Videolib] Transitioning from VHS

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu Sep 24 2009 - 16:57:23 PDT

Here's my reply to Jeff:

There's really not that much to say.

1. By no means all or even close to all titles formerly on tape have been
subsequently released on DVD. Many will never be, due to the economics of
film/video distribution. Generally, titles in the home video market have
a much greater chance of making the transition than independently produced
and distributed works; works produced for the educational market; or works
produced by associations and academic groups.

2. Current copyright does not allow the transfer of formats (e.g. tape to
DVD) without permission of the copyright holder, EXCEPT for the limited
provisions of Section 108 of the copyright law (see
http://www.section108.gov/about.html) 108 allows replacement copies to be
made by libraries and archives in cases where a title is at physical risk
of deterioration, or is in a generally obsolete format, AND the title is
not available for replacement at fair market prices. There are strict
stipulations about the use and users of such replacement copies--most
notably, the copy must be used in the confines of the library only.

That's pretty much it. Individuals are pretty much prevented by copyright
from making DVD copies of copyrighted tapes that they own. Use of such
copies in the classroom is most definitely illegal.

Digitization and streaming of tape copies without license or permission is
also pretty much off the table.

Pretty grim, eh?

> Forwarding this request posted to CCUMC-LS from Jeffrey B. Donahue,
> Binghamton University. You may reply to him directly if you wish.
>
> Elizabeth Stanley
> Bullfrog Films

UC Berkeley

--Francois Truffaut