[Videolib] FW: Help with photos

From: GODIN, CHRISTINE <cgodin@alamo.edu>
Date: Thu Sep 24 2009 - 11:21:47 PDT

Christine Crowley Godin, M.A.

Dean of Learning Resources

Adjunct Instructor, Theatre

Northwest Vista College

3535 N. Ellison Drive

San Antonio, TX 78251

210.486.4572

cgodin@alamo.edu <mailto:cgodin@alamo.edu> (beginning Aug. 1st, 2009)

________________________________

From: Jill Wassong [mailto:wassong@comcast.net]
Sent: Thu 9/24/2009 11:31 AM
To: GODIN, CHRISTINE
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Help with photos

Hi,
Well, to answer your specific question, the online stock photo business
that
was founded (but is no longer affiliated with) CCC is Mira.com .
They are just like any other stock photo house, in that they have a
collection of images that they rent the reproduction rights to.
They do NOT help people find out the copyright owner of a photo that a
client brings to them, searching for the history of it and whom to pay.
One of the previous emails below mentions Corbis, which is probably the
largest agency -- they own millions of images including a great many
historical collections (i.e. what once was the Bettmann archive).
The other major one that gobbled up what wasn't gobbled up by Corbis is
Gettyimages.com (owned by Mark Getty). They probably own 95% of that
which
is not owned by Corbis.
I believe there still may be independent photo researchers that are paid
research the copyright and permissiions of images, but I don't know
anyone
still in that line of business.
Jill Wassong
wassong@comcast.net