Re: [Videolib] Help with photos

From: Sarah McCleskey <Sarah.E.McCleskey@hofstra.edu>
Date: Wed Sep 23 2009 - 14:39:27 PDT

Hi Merle,

Corbis handles rights for a lot of images. http://pro.corbis.com/. Once she sets up a user account with them, they have a very helpful live chat feature and can usually tell pretty quickly if they handle the rights for an image. It's a good place to start.

Sarah McC.

Sarah E. McCleskey, M.A., M.S.L.S.
Head of Access Services
Acting Director, Film and Media Library
112 Axinn Library
123 Hofstra University
Hempstead, NY 11549
Sarah.E.McCleskey@hofstra.edu
516-463-5076 (o)
516-463-4309 (f)

>>> "Merle J. Slyhoff" <mslyhoff@law.upenn.edu> 9/23/2009 5:23 PM >>>
I've been searching around for an answer and thought the list may be able to help.

A faculty member wants to use photos in a book that is being published. In some cases she knows the copyright holder and in some she doesn't. The photos are from old newspapers, the web, old books. A librarian here has been helping her and has now come to me. We know the do's and don'ts and are trying to abide by them but we've hit a brick wall. Here are the questions:

1. If she knows the copyright holder but can't contact the person, how does she proceed?

2. If she doesn't know the copyright holder, what is the next step?

3. Is there a third party organization (like CCC) that handles photos? Meaning payment, procurement of right to reproduce, etc. are done by an outside agency as opposed to going to the copyright holder.

Thanks as always for your help.

Merle

Merle J. Slyhoff V: 215-898-9013
Collection Development & F: 215-898-6619
Resource Sharing Librarian E: mslyhoff@law.upenn.edu
Biddle Law Library
University of Pennsylvania
3460 Chestnut Street