Re: [Videolib] servers for streaming DVD

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed Sep 23 2009 - 09:42:17 PDT

Hi Diane

We've been licensing content for a few years now--we currently have about
90 licensed titles and about 100 locally-produced/orphaned/PD titles up on
the library's server.

We encode these in-house (for Windows Media...yuk!) using a Digital Rapids
(http://www.digital-rapids.com/)workstation

All titles are cataloged with links to the online file: licensed stuff is
UCB password encoded; the other stuff is open access.

Works pretty OK, so far.

gary handman

> Hi there -
>
> Just wondering how academic media librarians are handling/feeling about
>
> purchasing digital licenses to stream DVDs from vendors who require that
>
> libraries stream from their own servers.
>
> Has this created any problems?
>
> Diane
>

> Diane Sybeldon
>
> Fine and Performing Arts and Media Librarian
>
> Wayne State University Library System
>
> Detroit, Michigan 48202
>

> Office: 1210 Undergraduate Library
>
> Phone: 313-577-4480