Re: [Videolib] servers for streaming DVD

From: Jo Ann Reynolds <Jo_Ann.Reynolds@uconn.edu>
Date: Wed Sep 23 2009 - 09:25:52 PDT

At the University of Connecticut we've just launched a streaming service
in support of classroom instruction. We piloted the service last year to
figure out the process of converting the DVDs to streams, server needs,
and integration with our courseware, Blackboard's Vista which we call
HuskyCT. Converting the DVDs to streams requires special software, a
knowledgeable technical person, and sufficient server capacity. A method
of authenticating users is also necessary, hence the integration with
our courseware. We're starting small and growing from there but so much
of our course reserves is now media we feel this is a good investment.
Most of the problems we've run into so far have been in converting the
DVD to a stream.

Jo Ann

Jo Ann Reynolds

Reserve Services Coordinator