[Videolib] tv series

From: Andrews, Sarah E <sarah-andrews@uiowa.edu>
Date: Fri Sep 18 2009 - 08:36:50 PDT

At The University of Iowa, we collect tv to support research, teaching, or representative examples. It means we have compelete runs of The Simpsons, as well as stuff like Walker, Texas Ranger. I did a quick search and we appear to have 6,120 titles in our collection (series years count as 1)--but this includes PBS-type stuff.

I would advise you to try to keep an open mind about television--just because it is not a feature film doesn't mean it won't be studied. (You don't want to begin sounding like the folks who try to marginalize visual media in favor of print). Someone at our university is currently writing her dissertation on Adult Swim, focusing on Robot Chicken.

It also sometimes helps to direct people to legal, free sites like Hulu if they are interested in tv and you can't afford to purchase. Hulu agreed to let me screen House in our library for entertainment last Spring.

Sarah Andrews
Hardin Library for the Health Sciences