Re: [Videolib] what do you think about this PPR?

From: Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Sep 11 2009 - 09:28:18 PDT

Unless they actually OWN the "real" PPR rights they are badly mistaken.
There is no such thing as "Educational Public Performance Rights" . Other
thanpersonal use and the face to face teaching exemption, any PUBLIC showing
would require a license from the OWNER of those rights. It makes no
difference if you charge admission or are a non-profit institution.A
 college film Series would not suddenly get to show everything for free if
they did not charge admission which this "explanation" would imply. GIDEON'S
TRUMPET was made for TV many years ago and I would be skeptical of anyone
claiming to own legit PPR on it as union contracts on TV films can be a
problem . In any event unless Acorn owns or has a contract with the owner of
PUBLIC EXHIBITION rights for this film they have no right to indicate you
can show it to an audience. Now some companies that DO own these rights have
in some cases included such rights so anything is possible but I would call
and check to be sure.

Jessica

image003.jpg image002.jpg image001.png