Re: [Videolib] DVD player software for cataloging

From: Tiar, Marc <MTiar@washoecounty.us>
Date: Wed Sep 09 2009 - 10:48:28 PDT

I don't know for sure since this is out of my realm of experience, but
if I had this need, my first attempt would be with VLC (videolan.org).
Excellent free software for viewing all things video.

Getting a bit more technical (and even further from my level of
comprehension), it appears to be at least partially a function of
hardware as well as software. From the VLC FAQ:

Does VLC support DVDs from all regions?

This mostly depends on your DVD drive. Testing it is usually the
quickest way to find out. The problem is that a lot of newer drives are
RPC2 drives these days. Some of these drives don't allow raw access to
the drive until the drive firmware has done a regioncheck. VLC uses
libdvdcss and it needs raw access to the DVD drive to crack the
encryption key. So with those drives it is impossible to circumvent the
region protection. (This goes for all software. You will need to flash
your drives firmware, but sometimes there is no alternate firmware
available for your drive). On other RPC2 drives that do allow raw
access, it might take VLC a long time to crack the key. So just pop the
disc in your drive and try it out, while you get a coffee. RPC1 drives
should 'always' work regardless of the regioncode.