Re: [Videolib] Recommender systems..

From: <Tom.Ipri@unlv.edu>
Date: Thu Sep 03 2009 - 09:15:09 PDT

We don't do anything like that and haven't given any thought to it, but I
know some catalogs (like III's Encore interface) now allow for community
reviews. Don't know if that info could somehow be harvested for
recommendations. The problem, I would guess, would be a lack of user
input. I doubt a library catalog would ever have the critical mass of
reviews to make the recommendations worthwhile.

Unless Netflix has an api that would allow you to tap into their
recommendation system?

Tom

_____________________________
Tom Ipri, MS
Head, Media and Computer Services
Lied Library
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
4505 S. Maryland Pkwy
Box 457035
Las Vegas, NV 89154-7035
702-895-2183
tom.ipri@unlv.edu

John Streepy <John.Streepy@cwu.EDU>
Sent by: videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu
09/03/2009 08:21 AM
Please respond to
videolib@lists.berkeley.edu

videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
cc

Subject
Re: [Videolib] Recommender systems..

I know in our library that there would be no data to recommend from. Past
checkouts are deleted from patron records. There is just not the server
space here among other privacy issues.
jhs

John H. Streepy
Media Services Supervisor
Library-Media Circulation
James E. Brooks Library
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7548

(509) 963-2861
http://www.lib.cwu.edu/media

"Hand to hand combat just goes with the territory.
All part of being a librarian" -- James Turner "Rex Libris"

Transitus profusum est nocens!

>>> Scott Spicer <spic0016@umn.edu> 9/2/2009 8:36 PM >>>
I know this is a bit out there, but it is loosely related to a white paper
I am writing so I'll shoot. Has anyone instituted or considered a
Netflix-type recommender system in their catalog for video? I recognize
the data privacy issues, so this would have to be a login authenticated,
opt-in solution. Nor am I suggesting this take the place of our faculty
consultations and well-crafted filmographies (for the Andrew Keen,
anti-crowdsourcing folks). Just a provocation...

-Scott

Scott Spicer
Media Outreach and Learning Spaces Librarian
Coordinated Educational Services
University of Minnesota Libraries
233 Walter Library 612.626.0629

as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of
communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video
producers and distributors.