Re: [Videolib] Recommender systems..

From: John Streepy <John.Streepy@cwu.EDU>
Date: Thu Sep 03 2009 - 08:21:08 PDT

I know in our library that there would be no data to recommend from. Past checkouts are deleted from patron records. There is just not the server space here among other privacy issues.
jhs

John H. Streepy
Media Services Supervisor
Library-Media Circulation
James E. Brooks Library
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7548

(509) 963-2861
http://www.lib.cwu.edu/media

"Hand to hand combat just goes with the territory.
All part of being a librarian" -- James Turner "Rex Libris"

Transitus profusum est nocens!

>>> Scott Spicer <spic0016@umn.edu> 9/2/2009 8:36 PM >>>

I know this is a bit out there, but it is loosely related to a white paper I am writing so I'll shoot. Has anyone instituted or considered a Netflix-type ( http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/09/02/netflix.prize/index.html ) recommender system in their catalog for video? I recognize the data privacy issues, so this would have to be a login authenticated, opt-in solution. Nor am I suggesting this take the place of our faculty consultations and well-crafted filmographies (for the Andrew Keen, anti-crowdsourcing folks). Just a provocation...

-Scott

Scott Spicer
Media Outreach and Learning Spaces Librarian
Coordinated Educational Services
University of Minnesota Libraries
233 Walter Library 612.626.0629