Re: [Videolib] Tampopo

From: Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Aug 29 2009 - 17:09:09 PDT

I am afraid is is almost surely owned by a company in Japan which maybe
Itami if it still exists. Most foreign films in the US
are sold for limited term licenses usually 7 or 10 years. At the end of the
license it has to be renegotiated either with the company that originally
had or a new one. Sadly in the last 5 or even 10 years it has become
common to license for home video, TV etc but NOT public exhibition which
many home video companies have no interest in so the rights belong to the
original owner or if they no longer exist (which happens ) whoever bought
their library. I have not seen TAMPOPO play anywhere publicly in a long time
which would indicate the rights are probably back to a company in Japan. If
Itami is the original company /producer ( which you can usually confirm
through the original VARIETY review if you can access it) than I would try
to find them if possible.

GOOD LUCK

Jessica