Re: [Videolib] Video Cataloging Practices

From: McKenzie, Rue <rmckenzie@lib.usf.edu>
Date: Fri Aug 21 2009 - 12:41:50 PDT

I currently handle the original cataloging for our media collection. My
understanding is that call numbers should be unique for different
versions of a film, even if the titles are the same. If you have
multiple release dates of exactly the same production, you can
differentiate them with the year at the end of the call number. But, if
it is an actual remake, I expand the Cutter number so that the versions
shelve side by side but are classified uniquely. This is particularly
useful when you have open stacks for browsing like we have.

Just my take on the cataloging guidelines that certainly are interpreted
with a bit of variety at times.

Rue

Rue McKenzie
Coordinator of Media Collections
Collection Analysis & Technical Services
University of South Florida, Tampa Library
813-974-6342

"An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how
much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know
and what you don't."--Anatole France