[Videolib] Video Cataloging Practices

From: Karen Glover <kmlively@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Aug 21 2009 - 11:37:29 PDT

Hi list,
I have a small concern about the way our cataloging department is cataloging films and I wanted to find out if I am out of line or I should push for a change. When an item is a remake of a film, different director, actors, etc., Cataloging is creating a different record but using the same LOC call number as the original film as well as any other editions of either. My argument is that the record and call number should be completely different because they are two totally different films. However, I am not a cataloger, nor do I know more than the very basics of cataloging. Is this common among other libraries to have the same call number for a remake and original film? She told me that because it has the same title, it gets the same call number. That can't be right, can it?
Thanks for the help,

 Karen Glover
Circulation Services Librarian,
Assistant Department Head