Re: [Videolib] Home use prices vs. PPR prices

From: Alex Peterson <alex@mediaed.org>
Date: Fri Aug 21 2009 - 11:01:35 PDT

Great discussion . and something that I think about a lot.

My question is: if we distributors who charge a higher price for
institutional/educational-use begin charging a home-use price for library
collections, would the number of DVDs sold match the cost difference? For
example, would a DVD that costs $195 for university libraries but $19.95 for
home-use *really* sell 10 times the amount if we discounted it??

At this point, at least for MEF, I don't think so.

The number of educational institutions is a finite number. And, as Jessica
points out, very specific or niche titles will not be purchased by a high
number of libraries, regardless of how much they cost. Many are simply not
interested.

MEF in unique in that we rely almost exclusively on the sales of our films
to fund future projects (we receive very few gifts from individual donors
and little to no grant support). For us, a film cannot simply break even.
It must continue to generate enough profit to fund films that are in
production right now.

It would be great if we could sell our films for $20 or $40 bucks a pop, but
I don't think it would work. Without a stroke of great luck (Obama asking
all Americans to buy a copy of "Consuming Kids"? Oprah listing "Killing Us
Softly 3" as one of her "favorite things"?!?), I can't really see us
distributing the high number of DVDs that we would need to keep us alive and
producing new work.

Musings on a Friday afternoon.

Alex

Alexandra Peterson | Marketing Coordinator

Media Education Foundation

60 Masonic Street | Northampton, MA 01060

TEL: 413.584.8500 x2205 | FAX: 413.586.8398

CHALLENGING MEDIA