Re: [Videolib] Streaming video or "video on demand" policies at academic institutions

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Fri Aug 21 2009 - 08:29:52 PDT

Hi Tammy

We don't really have a formal written policy in re streaming. What we do
have is general precepts (which exist solely in my frontal lobe).

Keeping in mind the serial nature of most streamed video licensing, we
generally acquire licenses for commercial titles which:

1. Have a demonstrated track record of heavy use over time
2. Have a demonstrated use over time in large classes

and/or (to a lesser extent)

3. Are funded short or long term, wholly or largely by departments to
support particular curricula

4. Currently exist in the collection on tape or DVD and are available for
low cost, one-time (in-perpetuity)licensing to stream (although I think
1,2,3 above would still come into play)

and/or (to a MUCH lesser extent)

4. Are critically/historically significant enough in nature as to warrant
online distribution regardless of 1, 2, and 3 above

We stream locally produced materials and/or orphan or PD works in cases where

1. There is a compelling reason to do so for short-term preservation
purposes.

2. The title is critically/historically significant enough in nature as
to warrant online distribution

Hope this helps.

Gary Handman

> Hello Collective Wisdom,
>
> Would anyone who works at an academic library be willing to share your
> policies on streaming video¬č or even media in general¬č at your respective
> institutions? We¬Ļre hoping to craft one of our own here and it would be
> great to get some more perspectives on the issue.
>
> Thanks so much in advance.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> --
> Tammy Ravas
> Visual and Performing Arts Librarian and Media Coordinator
> Assistant Professor
> Mansfield Library
> University of Montana
> Ph: 406-243-4402