Re: [Videolib] Home use prices vs. PPR prices

From: Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Aug 20 2009 - 14:32:02 PDT

I think it depends on the product. The sad fact is that most of the titles
that come with high end pricing simply have no 'home use' or retail market.
In most cases the PPR rights are largely meant as an "extra" that you
probably don't need. I sometimes evilly joke about the documentary about a
lesbian basket weaving co-operative in Bolivia as the type of film sold for
the educational market. It is going to have a VERY small market thus the
distributor or filmmakeris going to charge $250 on up a pop or the film is
never going to get distributed at all. If the distributor can sell 20-40
copies at that level of price then they can afford to make these kinds of
films available. I am sure the same distributor or filmmaker would LOVE to
sell the titles at $25( without the PPR which you probably didn't want
anyway ) IF they could sell 250 to 450 copies ( a little more than the price
difference given all the extra work) but they really can't.
I think this issue has been discussed over the years and it would be great
if librarians and distributors could come up with a solution but short of
300 libraries
pre-ordering a title to keep the price down I don't really see it.

Jessica Rosner