[Videolib] Home use prices vs. PPR prices

From: Moshiri, Farhad <moshiri@uiwtx.edu>
Date: Thu Aug 20 2009 - 09:52:37 PDT

Dear Collective mind,

Has there been any studies done to find if a video publisher makes more money if it offers its videos with home use pricing in contrast to limiting it to PPR pricing? The reason I'm asking this question is that I'm sure there are other institutions like my university that do not show its videos to the public and does not need PPR for the videos in its collection. We check out our videos only for individual use at home or for use in face-to-face classroom use. Since we have a very limited budget for AV materials, we are forced to purchase cheaper videos. We miss many good documentaries due to their expensive pricing. But companies such as First Run and PBS are offering home use pricing for their documentaries that we use a lot. I'm just guessing that other publishers could make more money and offset the high cost of producing documentaries if they sell more copies of their products with home use pricing. I highly appreciate your inputs.

Farhad Moshiri
University of the Incarnate Word
San Antonio, TX

This email and any files transmitted with it may be confidential or contain privileged information and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately delete the email and any attachments from your system and notify the sender. Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited. Thank you for your compliance.