Re: [Videolib] A very badass copyright ruling

From: Shoaf,Judith P <jshoaf@ufl.edu>
Date: Sat Aug 15 2009 - 07:42:23 PDT

Thanks for drawing attention to this.
It seems to me there is a big difference between making a personal copy off broadcast (SONY) and making a backup copy of a personal copy which is already available to be moved from one machine to another or viewed at any time.
I remember back in the mid-90s learning a mantra along the lines of "when you buy a VHS copy it is only good for the life of the copy. You have no right to make a backup copy." It seems to me obvious that RealNetworks' Facet player violates this rule.

I do not like the studios' attitude much, but I find myself agreeing with the ruling. Yes, if your DVD breaks, you have to buy another one.

It's tough for language professors who buy DVDs abroad that may only be available for a short time even in the country where the film was made. Especially since the courts have made it difficult for such instructor to play the DVDs in this country.... There is a lot wrong with the law but I don't see this player helping it out at all.

Judy Shoaf (Language Learning Center, UF)

<http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10307921-93.html>