Re: [Videolib] Documentaries on the Soviet Union

From: Dennis Doros <milefilms@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Aug 14 2009 - 13:07:53 PDT

> Vsevolod Pudovkin's 1927 silent: End of St. Petersburg.
> Eisenstein's Ten Days that Shook the World (aka October)(1927) and
> Battleship Potemkin (1925)... both essential as early documents of the
> 1917 Revolution

Just to point out, these are all historical re-creations. They're amazing
films but all fictional.

Esther (aka Esfir) Shub's "Fall of the Romanov Dynasty" was the first
documentary to use the authentic footage and one of the first "compilation"
docs ever. I brought it out on VHS in Kino's Red Silents series many years
ago but I don't know if it's on DVD. She did another film called The Great
Road which followed the years 1917-1927 in the Soviet Union but I've never
seen it.

--
Best,
Dennis Doros