Re: [Videolib] Documentaries on the Soviet Union

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Fri Aug 14 2009 - 12:51:06 PDT

Well...

Vsevolod Pudovkin's 1927 silent: End of St. Petersburg.
Eisenstein's Ten Days that Shook the World (aka October)(1927) and
Battleship Potemkin (1925)... both essential as early documents of the
1917 Revolution

Red flag, 1917 (part of the People's Century series) isn't bad, as far as
overviews go: When Lenin's Bolsheviks stormed the Winter Palace in 1917,
they did so in the name of a new ideology. Millions were drawn by its
promise. In this film the people who were there--from members of the Red
Guard to party activists to students--explain how Communism appealed to
their deepest hopes and dreams. Through them, we hear how Communist
leadership, under Vladimir Lenin and later, Joseph Stalin, compromised the
proletarian ideal--and how hope eventually gave way to despair.

Another installment of that series (Brave New World, 1945) isn't a bad
overview of the beginning of the Cold War

Films Media group has "Document Russia: The Rise of Vladimir Putin" which
I haven't screened, but sounds interesting

The Video Project has a series entitled Revealing Russia, which, although
produced in the early 90s, is still interesting
http://store.videoproject.com/rev-164-v.html

Cinema Guild's Russia In Transition series is group of interesting films
made by filmmaker Sergei Loznitsa, that deal in a very personal way with
various aspects of modern life in Russia.

> Hi videolib list,
>
> I'm hoping some folks will weigh in and let me
> know if they have, or know of, any documentary
> DVDs on the Soviet Union. I've had a patron ask
> us to get "The Soviet Story", but I don't know if
> that's the best one available on this topic. I'd
> really appreciate your suggestions, and any
> information on where to order them from.
>
> Thanks!
> Patti
>
> Patricia Ruocco
> Adult Services
> Lisle Library District
> 777 Front St.
> Lisle, IL 60532
> 630-971-1675
> ruoccop@lislelibrary.org
>
> Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
> Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ­Groucho Marx

> producers and distributors.

UC Berkeley

--Francois Truffaut