Re: [Videolib] video browsing collection: LOC or "some other system"?

From: Steffen, James M <jsteffe@emory.edu>
Date: Wed Aug 12 2009 - 13:10:36 PDT

Gary and Scott both raise excellent points in terms of the mission of an academic video collection. Gary, I'm especially glad that you brought up the need for us to "preserve the cultural record." This is a key point. Over the long term, academic libraries may be the ONLY place where people can find certain video titles, especially videos from overseas. Blockbuster and Netflix certainly aren't going to preserve the cultural record for us.

At Emory we have a closed-stack video collection, but we recently expanded overnight (actually, 2 day) DVD circulation to students on a select number of DVD titles. No VHS tapes or other formats are eligible. The overnight-OK DVDS have a different item type and a different circulation/fine structure: "DVD-LEND" rather than "DVD." This way the correct circulation period is given automatically. Students can also search the OPAC specifically for DVDs that can be taken home by limiting to the DVD-LEND item type. However, the DVDs are housed together and have the same call number system, so it's easy to take the item off lending as circumstances warrant--i.e., a DVD is booked by a faculty member or requested for course reserves.

Our criteria for designating DVDs as "DVD-LEND" were:

1) Playable on US equipment--NTSC Region 1 or 0 only.
2) Inexpensive--mostly home video titles, not educational/PPR titles.
3) Easily replaced--not O.P., rare or otherwise difficult to obtain.
4) Not on reserve or frequently booked by instructors.

In the case of #4, as the budget permits we do buy 2nd DVD-LEND copies of a limited number of films that get heavily used. For example, I automatically ordered two copies of WALL-E under the (correct) assumption that faculty would be putting it on reserve for courses. Only one of the two copies circulates overnight to students in those cases.

We do get the occasional lost or damaged item, but in general we haven't had as many problems as I initially feared. This system required considerable planning and demands regular staff oversight, but I feel that we've been able to increase access while still adhering to the core academic mission of the video collection. I've found it to be worth the effort.

Best,
James

--
James M. Steffen, PhD