Re: [Videolib] video browsing collection: LOC or "some other system"?

From: Bergman, Barbara J <barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu>
Date: Wed Aug 12 2009 - 12:53:46 PDT

Our videos are LOC classified. This occurred long before we moved them to open stacks, so it wasn't an issue/problem that delayed the move. If we had started with accession numbers, I think we might have gone with some sort of alpha/genre/language grouping for the feature films and TV series -- LC call numbers are much too long to fit on a DVD case spine.
Anyway -
We mostly solved the PN1995 problem by using the literature schedule (thanks to the special formats cataloger who heard the idea a conference and was willing to do the work.) Classification according to the lit schedule organizes books first by country of origin of the author, author name, then title. It's not perfect (Brokeback Mountain is shelved with Asian films because directed by Ang Lee), but provided more structure and mostly sorted by language (a common request from our students). It's nice to have a directors' works shelved together.

---
The visibility of videos in open stacks has been fabulous. Scoff at increased circs, but the numbers gave me a way to successfully ask for a larger purchasing budget. Even oldtimers were happy to browse and were surprised to see the interesting titles we had in the video collection.  Video collections are much too expense to lock away and not get used.
You don't have to jump into everything at once. You can start an open stacks movement with a small part of the collection -- feature films and PBS titles, for example.
Re: Overdues.  I have far more power over the students in the form of steep fines. Faculty are not penalized for late returns.
Re: Loss.  We've lost a handful of feature films to theft. I've never had to replace an expensive educational title due to unexplained disappearance.
Barb Bergman | Media Services & Interlibrary Loan Librarian | Minnesota State University, Mankato | barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu | (507) 389-5945