[Videolib] media in teaching and learning

From: Jo Ann Reynolds <Jo_Ann.Reynolds@uconn.edu>
Date: Wed Aug 12 2009 - 12:12:45 PDT

Scott Spicer recently responded to a post from Gary in which he said, in
part,

"I am interested in how audio/visual media is used in classes, how it
impacts learning, and how well we meet user needs. Developing metrics
to better assess our impact in these domains should be our collective
goal."

I am also very interested in these things. Our media collection is
heavily used to support teaching in a wide variety of disciplines, most
of them not related to film studies, and yet sometimes it seems as
though media is not on many people's radar when it comes to budget
allocations, planning for equipment upgrades, and the like. I'm
gathering some statistics from course reserves and interviewing faculty
who are heavy users of media in preparation for a town hall meeting with
staff later this year. What are others doing to raise the profile of how
media is being used in today's college classroom?

Jo Ann

Jo Ann Reynolds

Reserve Services Coordinator

University of Connecticut