Re: [Videolib] video browsing collection: LOC or "some other system"?

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed Aug 12 2009 - 11:52:34 PDT

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, Scott

My earlier rant was in no way meant to downplay the importance of
recreational or casual viewing, or the notion that learning goes on in
many venues and in many modes. I, myself, learned everything I know from
spending countless hours in movie houses... Thing is, I firmly believe in
the overriding importance in an academic setting of preserving the
cultural record and supporting formal teaching and research.
Unfortunately, those goals are frequently at odds with the notion of
providing broader and/or looser access to collections. It's an often
unhappy trade-off, I admit.

gary

UC Berkeley

--Francois Truffaut