Re: [Videolib] video browsing collection: LOC or "some other system"?

From: Scott Spicer <spic0016@umn.edu>
Date: Wed Aug 12 2009 - 11:36:47 PDT

I have been thinking about your earlier response (I need a life as
well), and believe you make a number of strong points, Gary. First,
we are also first and foremost committed to teach and learning, then
research, and finally recreation. In fact, the primary rationale for
my appointment was to assist the campus community in having greater
awareness, curriculum integration, and discovery of non-print media in
resource and production form to enhance learning. As for the open-
stacks question, my new-age, philosophy is that learning does not
always take place in formal learning environments and that our role as
media sages should extend past the classroom to encourage students to
better appreciate the media they consume in whatever form. I don't
think we should judge all recreational viewing as non-learning and
frivolous, especially if we position ourselves to partner with faculty
to offer supplemental/integrated programming in media literacy (I just
started a new thread, I know it!).

That said, there are a few differences with respect to context
(warning technical logistical stuff ahead skip to third paragraph). I
failed to mention that many of our most expensive and widely used
educational titles are in a locked cabinet behind the desk (with a
notice on the OPAC record). We are incredibly sensitive to the needs
of faculty, and in fact pull their items 4 days (a kind of blackout
period) in advance for delivery or hold. We are not the centralized
repository for rare or worn items, that would be our archives which
have similar use restrictions. We purchase replacements or try to
resurface damaged items quickly, but again we have not witnessed more
wear on curricular titles as a result of our open-stacks policy, and
feature films titles are inexpensive as you mentioned. We also have
tattle tape affixed to the actual DVD (beneath a non-pealable dvd
plastic) and on the case.

I also should mention that my metric for success is not at all
circulation, I just found the increase to be a positive bonus. I am
interested in how audio/visual media is used in classes, how it
impacts learning, and how well we meet user needs. Developing metrics
to better assess our impact in these domains should be our collective
goal. Two years ago, we were a learning resources center, with a
focus on collections, closed stacks, and a floor of viewing/listening
stations. This beautiful, historical space was so dead you could hear
crickets. Today, in part to a redesign and less restrictive
practices, it's an incredibly popular, lively, energetic center with
all kinds of interaction taking place. We still have a lot of work to
do, but I believe we are on the right path.

Now if you'll excuse me I've got a few flowers to disperse. Kind of
ironic isn't it?

-Scott

Scott Spicer
Media Outreach and Learning Spaces Librarian
Coordinated Educational Services
University of Minnesota Libraries
233 Walter Library 612.626.0629