Re: [Videolib] video browsing collection: LOC or "some other system"?

From: Susan Albrecht <albrechs@wabash.edu>
Date: Wed Aug 12 2009 - 08:34:55 PDT

Good points all, of course.

One thing I should have noted is that we *do* hold back a handful of
items, mark them as "Circ Reserve," and continue to house them in a
closed setting, behind the circulation desk. They do still circulate
when needed, but people obviously aren't going to find them on a
browsing trip, only via the catalog or a video database search, and
they're less likely to just walk, being housed back there.

That is obviously something to consider -- does your institution have
a sizable subset of pricey docs and educational titles? Because our
primary purpose is also to support the curriculum (and I try to
bolster by buying what I know is likely to fit in there, too), we do
have (relatively speaking) a fair number of those big-buck
titles. Then again, because we only have a couple of faculty who are
actively involved in film studies, the research aspect of the
collection is minimal... and I know that's a BIG difference from Berkeley's.

You also would have a larger number of potential pilferers, and it's
hard to know if thievery is simply a proportional kind of thing or if
the odds gets worse with a larger pool.

I suspect the answer to your final question, Gary, is one which will
vary significantly from institution to institution. We have an
all-male student body so, LOL, I think we tend to see offering
popular titles as a nice boost to their less-fun (during the week
anyway) social lives. ;) To get serious for a moment, though, this
economic downturn has affected my acquisitions budget -- both print
and media -- significantly this year, and facing those more limited
dollars means we're going to have to make that priority determination
more firmly... with curricular support pretty sure to win out.

Susan

Susan Albrecht
Acquisitions Manager
Wabash College Lilly Library